CEV announces format for second edition of Beach Volleyball Continental Cup
News from the CEV
Luxembourg, October 14, 2013. After the tremendous success of the inaugural edition completed shortly before the 2012 Olympics in London, the CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup will be returning next year as teams start their quest for making it to the Games of the XXXI Olympiad Rio 2016.
The inaugural CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup was joined by 32 countries with Norway and Russia eventually emerging as the winners at the final stages held in Alanya (TUR) and Moscow (RUS) to qualify a men’s and women’s pair respectively for the London Olympics.
Following the meeting of the CEV Board of Administration held last September 26 in Copenhagen, the format for the second edition set to start in 2014 was approved. At the end of a process split into six rounds, once more one team per gender will crown their dream to compete at the Olympics with the Beach Volleyball tournament set to take place in an iconic venue to be set up at Copacabana, one of the world’s most famous beaches. Another two places to compete at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro will be at stake via the FIVB intercontinental round.
The competition format for the second edition of the CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup reads as follows:
- Each Federation participates with two teams per gender in a “country vs. country” format
- The competition is split into six rounds in total including a Semi-final and Final Round with the first Round starting in 2014
- The top eight National Federations from the CEV Country Ranking as of December 31, 2013 will start their campaign directly from the third Round in order to provide a more even level of competition in the first and second Round
- To ensure more opportunities for all countries to progress in the competition, a losers’ stage is set to take place after first and third Round
- Semi-finals and Finals shall be played without athletes/teams having already qualified a spot for their National Federations via the FIVB Olympic Ranking
The registration for the competition is open and National Federations have to return their forms by October 31, 2013 at the latest.
Picture: Norway’s men won the inaugural edition of the CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup whose finals were held in Alanya, Turkey with the now retired Martin Spinnangr and Tarjei Skarlund (third and fourth from right) getting the right to represent their country at the 2012 Olympics in London